Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Trying to get settled

So, we've been here now for 14 days. I still don't feel very settled or in a routine yet. Part of that has been because of Adam not being in school, our furniture not being here, not having a second car, etc. I know all of that will come in time, i'm not stressing about it. But......Adam has been having a hard time. He's not sad or depressed or anything, he has just been dying for kids to play with, so he's driving ME crazy with all of his energy! There are plenty of kids in the neighborhood, and most of them come out in the evenings (too hot in the afternoon), but it's hard to explain to a 5 year old why our neighbor kids don't come out to play. They have homework, probably chores, dinner, bath, etc. Our backyards are connected, and most people leave the back yard door unlocked, so I have to keep explaining to him that he can't just walk into someone's back yard and knock on their sliding glass doors!! BUT, today was his first day at K4. In Birmingham, he started at Creative Montessori School (best school ever!) when he was 18 months, so he was no stranger to school, routine, great teachers, lots of learning and playing, etc. I was very excited for him when we went to meet his new teacher and see his classroom. But I was bummed that they only go for half a day, which is really like just a couple of hours. Not because I want him out of the house (mostly), but because he loves to be around other kids and people, and I know he gets tired of looking at me and Sophia all day. He will be in this class for two months, then summer break, then he goes to Kindergarten!!!!!!!! I can't believe it.
Kids ride the bus to K4 here (as long as you don't live too close to the school). This is the one thing he has been most excited about. I dropped him off this morning, and he rode the bus home. When I dropped him off, I kept asking him to stand up so I could take a picture. He kept telling me to "hurry up before the kids see you taking pictures of me" and when he got off of the bus after school I kept trying to kiss him and he told me to hurry before "J" saw us, the little girl his age that lives next door. Isn't 5 too young to not want kisses from your mommy in front of your friends?!?!
My little man-child.

Showing off the back of his awesome book-bag.


In our front yard getting ready to leave for school!!


In front of the gate I had to walk him to. The blue and yellow covering is the playground area.


Getting off of the bus. 


First school-bus ride ever!!


So, there are no big yellow school buses here. These kids ride in style and comfort! This is the best shot I could get of the whole bus. I didn't want to ask the bus driver to wait for me to get a good shot (well, I really did want to ask, but....). I'm kind of sad I probably won't ever get a yellow school-bus picture, but  I think this one will make for a better story when he's older.


We went to a gathering tonite that i'll post more about later. We walked there, and kept getting stopped by Adam's friends. Here he is with one of his friends, chatting about his new re-useable water bottle he got at school today during their recycling program.


Baseball at sunset.


No comments:

Post a Comment